By Bill Landis, cleveland.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Urban Meyer's 2017 Ohio State football team will officially go down as the No. 5 team in the country. That's where the Buckeyes finished in the final Associated Press college football poll of the season.
Alabama, which beat Georgia on Monday night in the College Football Playoff National Championship, was No. 1. But the Crimson Tide weren't a unanimous No. 1. Central Florida, which went 13-0 and beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl, received four first-place votes and finished No. 6 in the poll.
Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson and Ohio State made up the top five. Other Big Ten teams in the final poll include Wisconsin (7), Penn State (8), Michigan State (15) and Northwestern (17). (Full Article)
Shauna Green A-10 Coach of the Year 2018
Ohio State ranked No. 5 in final AP poll, UCF gets first-place votes: Buckeyes footballnewsUpdated 2:42 AM; Posted 2:30 AM
Shauna Green, in just her second season at the helm for @DaytonWBB led the Flyers to a 22-5 overall record and finished 15-1 in the A-10. UD won the regular #A10WBB season title and will be the top seed for the A-10 championship for the 2nd consecutive season. pic.twitter.com/e5tDTFl5ms— A-10 Women's Hoops (@A10WBB) March 1, 2018
#UDWBB Enters 2018 A-10 Tournament As The Top Seed
The Flyers Receive A First-Round Bye
Posted: 2/24/2018 5:49:00 PM
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Atlantic 10 Conference released its 2018 tournament bracket on Sunday following the completion of the regular season games.
The University of Dayton enters as the top seed overall and will receive a first round bye, along with No. 2 Duquesne.
The Flyers finished the A-10 season with a 15-1 record and will look to defend its 2017 tournament title in Virginia.
The first round games will be held on campus sites Tuesday before the final eight teams head to Richmond to play in the Richmond Coliseum.
Dayton will play the winner No. 8 Richmond or No. 9 Davidson, who play Tuesday at 7 p.m. Richmond will serve as the hosts.
For more information, click on the tournament central link or download the bracket
Ohio State football players celebrate their 24-7 Cotton Bowl win over USC. The Buckeyes finished the
2017 season with a record of 12-2, and a Big Ten Championship. (Marvin Fong, The Plain Dealer)
"Your Local Sports &
#UDWBB Defeats Fordham, Clinches A-10 Regular Season Title
Senior Jenna Burdette Leads the Flyers with 29 Points
Posted: 2/18/2018 4:36:00 PM
DAYTON – The University of Dayton's women's basketball team won its 15th game in a row with a 79-54 victory over the Fordham Rams at UD Arena.
The Flyers (21-4, 14-0 A-10) were crowned Atlantic 10 Regular Season Champions after defeating the Fordham Rams. This is the program's fourth A-10 Regular Season Championship.
1st quarter – The Flyers go on 14-0 scoring run over 3:21 to jumpstart a Flyer lead.
1ST Quarter: Dayton 21, Fordham 16
• Fordham jumped out to an early 6-2 lead.
• Sophomore Jayla Scaife hit a jumper to give Flyers their first lead of the game, 7-6.
• Dayton goes on 14-0 run over 3:21
• The Flyer defense forced the Rams into a 4:28 scoring drought.
• Junior Lauren Cannatelli hit three of four three-point field goals.
• No free-throw attempts for the Flyers in the first quarter.
2nd Quarter: Dayton 42, Fordham 30
• Cannatelli scored Dayton's first free-throw attempts for two points.
• Cannetelli sank a three-pointer to end a 3:11 scoring drought.
• A back-to-back jumper and a three pointer from senior Jenna Burdette extended Dayton's lead to 10 points by the first time out of the quarter; 36-26.
• JaVonna Layfield scored on a jumper for her first points of the game after 19 minutes of playing time.
3rd Quarter: Dayton 63, Fordham 45
• Dayton goes into its first timeout of the quarter with an 18-point lead of 50-32.
• Dayton goes on a 13-2 scoring run over 3:46.
• The Rams go on 6-0 scoring run during a scoring drought for the Flyers.
• Cannatelli ended Dayton's skid after scoring her sixth three-pointer of the game.
• Senior Jenna Burdette led all scorers with 24 points.
4th Quarter: Dayton 79, Fordham 53
• Flyers led by over 20 points with a score of 72-49.
• Layfield scores a layup for her 14th double-double of the season.
• Christine Szabo is subbed in and scores a three-pointer to seal the game 79-54.
• Burdette ends the game with 27 points, Cannatelli with 22, and Layfield with 13.
• Throughout the game, Dayton scored 19 points off the Rams' turnovers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
7 – Led by senior Alex Harris with three, the Flyers put up seven blocks on defense.
19 – The Flyers scored 19 points that came from a Fordham turnover.
14 – Layfield scored 13 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to clinch her 14th double-double of the season.
17 – 17 total assists seals another team-driven win for the Flyers.
29-21 – Dayton beat the Rams on the defensive boards, 29-21.
KEY STAT – 19-3 – The Flyers outscored the Rams 19-3 on fast break points.
The Flyers return to UD Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 21 to face the George Mason Patriots in the final home game of teh season.
Photo Courtesy of TimesMedia